Lea-Francis Vehicles

Lea-Francis Twelve and Fourteen

In July 1937 a new company, Lea-Francis Engineering Ltd, was founded and opened the Much Park Street factory in Coventry. Its first offerings were these elegant vehicles.

View

Lea-Francis 14hp Four-Light Saloon 1946 - 1950

This is the most numerous Lea-Francis model of all, introduced in 1946 on a development of the pre-war chassis and engine.

View

Lea-Francis 14hp Four-Light Saloon 1951 - 1953

For 1951 the four-light saloon body fitted to the 14hp ifs chassis was lowered by some two inches, the boot lid opened from the top instead of the bottom.

View

Lea-Francis 14/70 Six-Light Saloon 1948 - 1951

This streamlined de-luxe version of the 14hp saloon was introduced at the 1948 Motor Show.

View

Lea-Francis 14hp Estate 1946 - 1953

The estate cars on the 14hp saloon chassis had wooden bodies that were built by quite a number of independent coachbuilders, who even produced one-offs for individual customers. However a standard model was also evolved, and most survivors are of this type.

View

Lea-Francis 14hp Sports 1947 - 1949

This handsome sports car with lively performance from the 87bhp engine deserved to do better, as there was little competition for it, but partly because of its price only 111 were made.

View

Lea-Francis 14hp Special 1946 -1953

From the start the potential of the very tunable 14hp engine and chassis was recognised and a number of sports and racing versions made. More recently some tired post-war 14s have found a new lease of life with mainly home-built open bodies fitted.

View

Lea-Francis 14hp Westland 1948 - 1950

Just 29 examples were built of a graceful two-door fixed-head coupé on the 14hp chassis by the Westland company of Hereford in1948 and 1949. They also built two examples of a streamlined tourer.

View

Connaught L2 and L3 1948 - 1953

The Connaught was made by Continental Cars of Send, Surrey, and their first sports cars used the chassis, engine and transmission of the Lea-Francis 14hp Sports. The later A type F2 racing car still had an engine developed from the Lea-Francis unit.

View

Lea-Francis engined Turners

Jack Turner started producing high performance sports cars in 1949. The first eight cars completed featured his own all-independent chassis, some with Lea-Francis engines.

View

Lea-Francis-engined Midget Racers

A number of Midget racing cars were powered by Lea-Francis engines and raced with success both in the USA and Australia, where the Speedway format of motor sport is more popular.

View

Lea-Francis 2½ Litre Sports 1949 - 1953

In 1949 two models, this sports car and a saloon, were launched using the ifs chassis and a new 2496cc four-cylinder engine designed by Hugh Rose.

View

Lea-Francis 18hp saloon 1949 - 1954

Outwardly identical to the 14hp six-light saloon, the 18hp saloon was launched in 1949.

View

Lea-Francis Westland 2½ LitreTourer 1950

This is a sister car to the 14hp tourer produced by Westland.

View

Lea-Francis Lynx 1960 - 1961

Unveiled at the 1960 Earls Court Motor Show after just six months' hurried preparation.

View

Lea-Francis 3.5 Litre 1980 - 1992

In 1962 Barrie Price purchased the assets of the Car Division of Lea-Francis, including the name.

View