An early example of badge engineering, these impressive-looking cars were made by Vulcan Engineering of Southport, with whom Lea-Francis were associated.
The twin overhead camshaft engine looked impressive too, but the 1LFS had flaws including inadequate lubrication, while giving no more power than a less complex design, and with low gearing managed only 60mph. The handsome bodies included saloons, tourers and coupés.
Lea-Francis spent much time and money repairing the first LFS engines under guarantee and fitting an additional oil pump. Vulcan then designed a much better two litre unit in 1927, the 2LFS. Designated the 16/60, very few cars were made with this engine.
Of the 386 14/40s eight are thought to have survived (seven in the Club), but only 44 16/60s were built of which two have survived (both in the Club).