Hyper emerges after years, parties in Caithness
This 1929 Hyper 2 seater has done less than 100 miles on the road since 1962, in spite of a lengthy complete rebuild finished in 1982. In storage since 1984, it was obviously a great buy for LeaF enthusiast Geoffrey Minter, and only required simple recommissioning by Hyper expert Jeremy Brewster. After trailering the car all the way from Bromsgrove to his home in the far north of Scotland, Geoffrey held a meeting on July 31 2011 for local classic owners and their cars – 18 of them, including two LeaFs, which joined Geoffrey’s two other examples to form the L-F quintet in the foreground:
From L to R
, 1946 14hp saloon of Edward Sutherland (best car in show award); Geoffrey Minter’s 1928 P type 2 seater and dickey, owned since 1976; recently acquired 1951 14hp estate; the 1929 Hyper, brought up the day before; and Peter Middleton’s later 14hp saloon, driven from the Orkneys for the day involving two 90 minute ferry crossings.
Photo: Geoffrey Minter
Posted: August 2011
DVD of archive material now available
Lea-Francis Owners’ Club Library archive DVD, for Post-1937 vehicles.
A DVD is now available, which provides a mass of useful and interesting material taken from the Club Library holdings relating to the cars produced at the Much Park Street factory, Coventry, from 1937.
It comprises information in various forms provided by the factory, including handbooks, as well as wiring diagrams and some parts lists, and Girling instruction sheets. In addition there are many contemporary articles taken from magazines.
The content is divided into folders, and sub-folders covering particular models. All documents have been scanned at high resolution.
For further details, see Information
To order, go to club shop
Posted: July 2011
New venue for 2011 Annual Rally a success
Prize-winners line up in front of Broughton Castle
After many years based on Stanford Hall, our 2011 Annual Rally moved to the Banbury area, visiting Bletchley Park for a tour of the World War II code-breaking centre on Saturday June 11, and holding our Assembly, Gymkhana and Concours at Broughton Castle on the Sunday. Despite non-stop rain, we had 34 Lea-Francis cars and one Connaught, one Unihorse tractor, one motorcycle and one bicycle. Prize-winning cars lined up in front of the Castle are, from left to right, two 1948 14hp Sports, a 1952 14hp four-light saloon, a 1949 14/70 six-light saloon from Sweden, a 1950 2 1/2litre Sports, another 1948 14hp Sports, a 1928 P type 4 seater, a 1925 K type 2 seater & dickey, a 1929 V type 4 seater, and the 1927 1LFS 14/40 4 seater. The turnout was a great improvement on recent years, and the new venue with its genial host much appreciated.
For 2012 we return to Broughton Castle on June 10, with a visit to Sulgrave Manor, the ancestral home of George Washington, on June 9th. Photo: Jim Jenkins
Posted: June 2011